- TypeBus Network Redesign
- April 2019: Queens Bus Network Redesign initiative launched
- August 2019: Queens Existing Conditions Report published
- December 2019: Original Queens Draft Plan published
- August 2021: Bus Network Redesign initiative restarted after COVID-related pause
- December 2021: Original Queens Draft Plan withdrawn from consideration
- March 2022: Queens New Draft Plan published
- Spring-Fall 2022: Queens New Draft Plan outreach
For languages other than English, use the Google Translate tool at the bottom of this page.
About the project
The Queens Bus Network Redesign is an ambitious plan that will improve bus travel for Queens riders.
The New Draft Plan, driven by customer feedback, was released on March 29, 2022. Through our outreach efforts in winter 2020, we collected an immense amount of constructive feedback from the public. Comments centered around subway connections, routing proposals, and bus stop spacing. This feedback became the primary input for the New Draft Plan.
With the New Draft Plan, we worked to address as many customer concerns as possible, while still including some well-received elements of the Original Draft Plan. Overall, we focused on redesign strategies that would improve the existing bus network.
- Improved connections and a simplified network that will decrease travel times and make trips simpler for riders
- Improved intraborough and interborough connections
- Increased frequencies to create a better all-day frequent network to meet customer needs
- Better balanced stop spacing, which will speed up buses and improve reliability
- Bus Priority Projects on targeted corridors will maximize travel time savings and improve the quality of service
In spring and summer 2022, the MTA hosted 40 public engagements including virtual workshops and briefings, outdoor open houses, pop-up events in partnership with MetroCard Mobile sales as well as direct on-street outreach to customers to gather feedback on the New Draft Plan. This input will inform and shape the Proposed Final Plan.
This process is laid out more fully in the report. As we announced on September 19, 2022, the QBNR team is now undertaking the important work of analyzing the wealth of input we received from stakeholders and customers throughout Queens in order to revise our proposals for the Proposed Final Plan. We expect to publish that report and host the next round of public outreach in 2023.
Explore the proposed bus network
Interactive network maps
We need your feedback! Use this interactive Remix map to view our proposed bus routes and stops in detail. Please provide comments using the "Post Comment" button on the top right of the page. Then click on the route that you would like to comment on. To learn more about how to use the Remix maps and provide comments, please watch the short video pop-up in the links below.
Where we left off
In December 2019, we released the original Queens Bus Network Redesign Draft Plan. It focused on providing more reliable service, faster travel, better connections, and improving ease of use. For the next three months, we held dozens of outreach events throughout Queens. Resulting from these efforts, we received over 11,000 comments.
However, in March 2020, we paused work on the Bus Network Redesigns due to the COVID-19 pandemic. The project remained on pause for approximately 18 months.
In August 2021, we announced we would restart the Bus Network Redesigns, with the Bronx local bus project resuming first, and the Queens project up next.