You’ll need one of these forms of photo ID to apply:
- Valid driver's license (or legal equivalent) from any state
- Valid passport from any country
- NYC Department of Aging ID card
- Medicare card
- The application is free. You can apply in person or by mail.
- When you apply, you can use the EasyPay option for automatic refills. (You can also do this later.)
- If you don't have your card with you, you can still get a reduced fare when you pay with cash. Find out more.
Option 1: Apply by mail
1. Download and complete an application.
2. Include a passport-style photo.
It should be 2 inches by 1.5 inches.
3. Include a copy of a valid ID as proof of age.
Forms of ID we accept are at the top of this page.
4. For riders with disabilities, include proof of a qualifying disability.
A list is on page 2 of the application. An examiner will review this and might contact you for more information.
5. Mail your application and documents to us.
MTA New York City Transit
Att: Reduced Fare Program
130 Livingston Street
Brooklyn, NY 11201-9625
Need help or have questions?
Call us at 511. Say "MTA," then say "Subway and Buses" and follow the prompts.
You can also use your preferred relay service provider or the free 711 relay if you need.
Option 2: Apply in person
Visit our customer service center.
The customer service center is open weekdays from 9 a.m.-5 p.m., except holidays. It's located at:
3 Stone Street
New York, NY 10019
Or apply in person at a MetroCard Bus or Van.
What you need to bring
Bring two valid IDs. One must be a photo ID.
We have forms, assistance, and free photography available.