If you ride a M14 bus, you’ve likely experienced a longer than expected wait at your stop, a longer than expected trip once you’re on your bus, buses that arrive in bunches and off-schedule, or some combination of the three. During the busiest travel times, M14 A/D buses spend about 60% of their trips stopped at bus stops or in traffic.
On July 1, 2019, in coordination with New York City Department of Transportation (NYCDOT), we launched our plan to fix these issues and keep buses moving. M14 A/D are now Select Bus Service routes.
Select Bus Service (SBS) is a package of improvements designed to target and correct the circumstances that slow down buses and make service unreliable. Citywide, customers are more satisfied with their SBS bus than their local or limited (LTD) bus.
On July 1, we introduced to the M14 A/D:
- Better bus stop spacing
- Off-board fare payment (you may have noticed new machines at your stop)
- All-door boarding
M14 SBS Proposal vs M14 SBS Final Plan
Developing SBS for the M14 A/D involved a substantial amount of data collection, analysis, and feedback from the communities served by the routes. We shared our original proposal with communities and elected officials earlier this year to get your feedback.
The final plan incorporates some of that feedback into the service we will provide starting July 1. Some of the stops originally recommended for removal along the A and D branches to help improve reliability and decrease travel time have been restored. We’re also testing out the feasibility of maintaining stops that serve Abingdon Square over the next nine months.
Goals for M14 SBS
With the launch of SBS on the M14 A/D, we plan to:
- Increase the speed of trips
- Decrease travel time aboard the bus
- Increase ridership
- Improve your experience
Throughout the initial phases of SBS on the M14, we will monitor and measure performance to ensure that we are achieving these goals. Past SBS implementations show that these goals are attainable with the tools we will use on the M14.
What Makes SBS Work
Select Bus Service combines different improvements developed to keep buses moving and give you more reliable service:
- Off-board fare payment and all-door boarding means customers can board the bus faster, and buses spend less time at the stop.
- Better bus stop spacing means buses spend less time leaving and re-entering traffic, keeping them moving along the route.
- Dedicated bus lanes, enforced by cameras, mean fewer cars blocking lanes, keeping buses moving.
SBS also gives us the opportunity to improve your experience with:
- Bus boarding curb extensions to increase the accessibility of bus service
- New leaning bars and benches at bus stops
- Real-time bus arrival information at stops
Since 2008, we’ve introduced 18 SBS routes across the five boroughs. We found that:
- SBS customers are 10 to 15% more satisfied than local or limited bus customers.
- SBS improves travel time by 10 to 30%.
- City-wide, SBS routes are 27% faster than other local or limited-stop bus routes.