Things to Know
L service runs normally during the busiest times on weekdays at 14 St-Union Sq Station. If you're planning to use the L on nights and weekends:
- Plan ahead: With trains every 20 minutes to Manhattan, you might not be able to board the first train depending on how many other customers are waiting. If you miss the first train, it's faster for the majority of customers to use the M14 A/D SBS within Manhattan or to connect to another subway within 14 St-Union Sq: NQRW and 456.
- You have options: 14 St-Union Sq has many other service alternatives. The M14A/D SBS bus stop is just outside the station, and for a full accessible route, take the NQRW to 34 St-Herald Sq and transfer to an M.
- You might be routed differently in the station: The L platform will be busy, so we'll direct you to enter from one side and exit on the other. Look for pink wayfinding signs or our staff and NYPD for help.
- Watch your step: During busy times, we'll have a line set up in the mezzanine to keep the platforms from getting overcrowded.
- L trains might be held in stations for a few minutes: This will help us keep trains on schedule. Doors will be kept open when we hold.
Plan Your Trip
Service at 14 St-Union Sq Station
The L will still be running at 14 St-Union Sq Station at all times, just less frequently during nights and weekends. Use this guide to know what's happening when:
|5 AM to 8 PM||Regular L frequency||Use the L|
|Weekdays||8 PM to 10 PM||
8-9 PM every 5 minutes
9-9:30 PM every 12 minutes
9:30-10 PM: gradual transition to every 20 minutes
|Plan ahead for longer than usual trip times or consider alternatives|
|Weeknights||10 PM to 1:30 AM||Reduced L frequency||Plan ahead for longer than usual trip times or consider alternatives|
|Weeknights||1:30 AM to 5 AM||Regular L frequency (every 20 minutes)||Use the L|
|Weekends||6 AM to 1:30 AM||Reduced L frequency||Plan ahead with alternatives; L trains will be crowded and with potential long wait times to board|
|Weekend nights||1:30 AM to 6 AM||Regular L frequency (every 20 minutes)||Use the L|
During the busiest hours on weekends, the L will run every 20 minutes while alternate subway and bus options run more frequently:
- M14 A/D SBS combined will run every 3 minutes
- M every 8 minutes
- J every 10 minutes
- G every 8 minutes
- 7 every 4 minutes
- Williamsburg Link B91A every 8 minutes
Using alternate service on nights and weekends will often be faster than waiting for the L. Here are some trip plans for common destinations:
|Destination||L first train during low ridership times (assumes a 10 minute wait)||L during busy ridership times (assumes waiting for second train)||Using alternate subway and bus options||Recommended alternate route|
|Bedford Av||18.5||38.5||35||6 > M > B91A|
|Myrtle-Wyckoff||34.5||54.5||37||6 > M|
|6 Av||14.5||34.5||8.2||M14 A/D SBS|
|Rockefeller Center||23||43||16||NQR > FM|
Once complete, 14 St-Union Sq will have:
- New platform components
- Two new higher capacity transfer stairs between L and NQRW platforms (completed in March 2019)