We're sorry you had a problem with your MetroCard.
• If your problem relates to one of the items below, click on the appropriate link to submit your claim.
• If your problem is not listed, click here to print a claim form to mail to us with your MetroCard.
• To check on the status of a MetroCard claim previously submitted, click here.
- Lost or Stolen Reduced-Fare MetroCard
- MetroCard Vending Machine Problem
- Transfer Problem
- Select Bus Service MetroCard Fare Collector
- MetroCard not Returned from Bus Farebox
- Overcharged MetroCard
- Balance Protection Claim
Other MetroCard Issues
- MetroCard Doesn't Work
- Pay-Per-Ride (Regular) MetroCard Go to a station booth and ask the station agent to transfer your money to a new card. If the card is too damaged for the agent to read, it will have to be mailed to NYC Transit.
- Unlimited Ride MetroCard must be mailed to NYC Transit for replacement. To receive a full credit for time remaining on your card, the envelope must be postmarked no later than one day after the problem occurs. Sundays and Federal holidays are not counted.
- MetroCard Has Expired
Whether Pay-Per-Ride or Unlimited Ride, every MetroCard has an expiration date. The date is located at the upper left corner on the back of the card. The expiration date is usually about one year from the date of purchase.
If your Pay-Per-Ride MetroCard expires, you have two years from the expiration date to transfer any remaining money to a new card. Within the first year after expiration, bring your expired card to any subway station and ask the agent to make the transfer. After that time, the expired MetroCard must be sent to MetroCard customer claims. Ask the station agent for a postage-paid Business Reply Envelope.
MetroCard Customer Claims
130 Livingston Street
Brooklyn, NY 11201
- Lost or Stolen MetroCard: General Information
The Pay-Per-Ride MetroCard can’t be replaced if it is lost or stolen. Treat it like cash. The following MetroCards can be replaced:
- EasyPay Xpress and Reduced-Fare EasyPay option MetroCard. Call the EasyPay Account Service Center at 1-877-323-7433 immediately if your card is lost or stolen. We will deactivate your card to protect you from unauthorized charges. We will also send you a replacement card in the mail.
- 30-Day Unlimited Ride MetroCard and the 7-Day Express Bus MetroCard. These cards provide balance protection if purchased with a credit card or debit/ATM card.
- Reduced-Fare MetroCard. Call one of the numbers listed below and we will deactivate your MetroCard and send you a new one containing the remaining fare value at the time of deactivation. Please note that we do not issue a temporary card when you report a lost or stolen Reduced-Fare Card. Allow two/three weeks to receive your replacement Reduced-Fare MetroCard.
For issues with your Reduced-Fare MetroCard or general MetroCard customer service questions, call 511 from 6 a.m. to 10 p.m., 7 days a week.
- How to Get a Refund
Pre-addressed, postage-paid envelopes are available at subway station booths and on buses. The envelope comes with a questionnaire so that you can describe the problem. Or download questionnaire (PDF file, 55K), and mail the questionnaire and MetroCard to us.
For expired or invalid cards, check “Other” in question 4.
You may also visit our MetroCard Customer Service Center at 3 Stone Street in Lower Manhattan between Broadway and Broad Street.
The center is open on weekdays between 9 a.m. and 5 p.m., except holidays.