How to Make a Reservation
- If you prefer to reserve your trips online, use Manage My Trips.
- To learn more about this service view our Frequently Asked Questions section.
- Please refer to the Access-A-Ride Phone Directory for phone numbers and calling instructions.
Here are some terms you need to know when you reserve a trip:
- “Pickup time” is the time you wish AAR to arrive. Since AAR is a shared-ride service, you may be offered a pickup time that is up to an hour earlier or later than the time requested.
- “Appointment time” is the time you wish AAR to arrive at your destination.
- You can request either a pickup time or appointment time, but not both for the same trip.
- “Call back” occurs if your trip cannot be accommodated when you call Reservations. We will ask to call you back with your pickup time.
- If you agree to be called back, scheduling staff will call you by 7 p.m. that evening. If you haven't been called by 7 p.m., call Travel Services to get your pickup time. Travel Services staff is available 24 hours a day, seven days a week.
- Trip reservations can be made from 7 a.m. to 5 p.m. daily. You must call one to two days in advance to reserve your trips. When reserving a trip to or from Nassau or Westchester counties, the reservationist will inform you if the location is within the three-quarter mile service area.
Prior to making your reservation, please have the following information ready:
- Your AAR ID number.
- The date of your trip(s).
- Your pickup and destination address (include cross streets whenever possible).
- Your cell phone number, if applicable, or the telephone number at your destination.
- The time you wish to be picked up or to arrive, if you have an appointment time.
- Whether you will be traveling with a PCA, guest(s), or both.
- Special instructions, such as requesting that the vehicle operator announce her/his arrival.
- Please provide the same information for the return trip.
If you have conditional eligibility, you may be able to only reserve AAR on a trip-by-trip basis (such as at those times when your disability and/or specific impairment-related conditions prevent you from using fixed-route buses or subways). You might also be offered AAR feeder service.
This service is offered to any customer who travels from the same location to the same destination at the same time of day for each trip at least one day a week. If you wish to apply, call Subscription Service from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. on 877-337-2017 and press "6". Please note: Subscription Service is subject to availability. These trips are prescheduled. You need to call if you wish to cancel or put your trips on hold.
If you do not require subscription service for one day or more, call Subscription Service at least three days in advance of your trip date to put it on hold. For example, if you have a trip to an appointment for physical therapy every Monday from 2 to 3 p.m., but will be on vacation for the next two weeks, you must call Subscription Service on Friday to put this trip on hold. When calling Subscription Service to put your subscription on hold, be prepared to give the following information:
- Your full name (please spell it out).
- AAR MetroCard/ID Number.
- Whether you want all or some of your trips put on hold (e.g., every Monday in July).
- The first date AAR vehicles should not pick you up.
- The first date vehicles should resume picking you up.
- If you don't know the date that you want your service to resume, say the hold is indefinite.
NYC Transit will hold your subscription for up to 90 consecutive days. After 90 days, the subscription will be canceled and you must submit a new request for Subscription Service.
Excessive Cancellation of Subscription Trips
NYC Transit may suspend any subscription that is canceled 30 percent or more times in two consecutive months. At no time can a customer's missed trips exceed seven within one month. This will be considered a consistent pattern of cancellations of any part of a subscription. The decision to suspend a subscription because of excessive cancellations is final. Suspended subscription customers must submit another request for Subscription Service. However, the request will not be considered until 30 days after the suspension date. Customers whose Subscription Service is suspended due to excessive cancellations still have the right to request advance reservation trips.
How to Cancel a Trip
You must cancel same-day trips no later than two hours before your scheduled pickup time by calling Travel Services. If you know one or two days in advance that you won't be taking your scheduled trip, call Reservations at 877-337-2017 and press "4".
When canceling a two-way trip, you must inform Travel Services or Reservations that you are canceling both the original trip at your pickup location and the return trip from your drop-off location. Return trips are not automatically canceled. The penalties for customers who cancel late or don't show up are listed here under No-Show/Late Cancellation Violations.