Terms to know before you book your trip
- “Pickup time” is the time you wish AAR to arrive. Since AAR is a shared-ride service, you may be offered a pickup time that is up to an hour earlier or later than the time requested.
- “Appointment time” is the time you wish AAR to arrive at your destination.
- You can request either a pickup time or appointment time, but not both for the same trip.
- “Call back” occurs if your trip cannot be accommodated when you call Reservations. We will ask to call you back with your pickup time.
- If you agree to be called back, scheduling staff will call you by 7 p.m. that evening. If you haven't been called by 7 p.m., call Travel Services to get your pickup time. Travel Services staff is available 24 hours a day, seven days a week.
- Trip reservations can be made from 7 a.m. to 5 p.m. daily. You must call one to two days in advance to reserve your trips. When reserving a trip to or from Nassau or Westchester counties, the reservationist will inform you if the location is within the three-quarter mile service area.
Information to have available when you make your trip
- Your AAR ID number.
- The date of your trip(s).
- Your pickup and destination address (include cross streets whenever possible).
- Your cell phone number, if applicable, or the telephone number at your destination.
- The time you wish to be picked up or to arrive, if you have an appointment time.
- Whether you will be traveling with a PCA, guest(s), or both.
- Special instructions, such as requesting that the vehicle operator announce her/his arrival.
- Please provide the same information for the return trip.
If you have conditional eligibility, you may be able to only reserve AAR on a trip-by-trip basis (such as at those times when your disability and/or specific impairment-related conditions prevent you from using fixed-route buses or subways). You might also be offered AAR feeder service.
Excessive cancellation of AAR trips
NYC Transit may suspend any subscription that is canceled 30 percent or more times in two consecutive months. At no time can a customer's missed trips exceed seven within one month. This will be considered a consistent pattern of cancellations of any part of a subscription. The decision to suspend a subscription because of excessive cancellations is final. Suspended subscription customers must submit another request for Subscription Service. However, the request will not be considered until 30 days after the suspension date. Customers whose Subscription Service is suspended due to excessive cancellations still have the right to request advance reservation trips.
How to cancel a trip
You must cancel same-day trips no later than two hours before your scheduled pickup time by calling Travel Services. If you know one or two days in advance that you won't be taking your scheduled trip, call Reservations at 877-337-2017 and press "4".
When canceling a two-way trip, you must inform Travel Services or Reservations that you are canceling both the original trip at your pickup location and the return trip from your drop-off location. Return trips are not automatically canceled. The penalties for customers who cancel late or don't show up are listed in our No-Show/Late Cancellation Policy, effective as of September 7, 2021.