The Coney Island Yard, the tracks that serve it, the car wash, repair, and maintenance facilities within it, and the infrastructure that runs through it are critical to our subway operations. The location of the yard provides ideal access to multiple subway lines, but it's vulnerable to flooding. With intense weather events like Superstorm Sandy expected to occur more often, we need to act now to protect this vital part of our system, so we can keep trains running safely.
To do the work to protect the yard efficiently and safely, we need uninterrupted access to the area immediately adjacent to the track. This means that between October 21, 2019, and Spring 2020, there will be no N trains between 86 St and Coney Island-Stillwell Av. You'll want to transfer to the D and the F, or use the B1 and B4 buses to complete your trip. Here's what we're doing and how you'll get around while we work.
Map of service changes
Key transfer points
Beginning Oct. 21, 2019, through spring 2020, there will be no N trains between 86 St and Coney Island-Stillwell Av.
For service to and from Coney Island, you'll want to transfer to the D or F lines. You can do that at:
- 36 St D/N/R (cross-platform)
- 62 St-New Utrecht Av D/N (Note this is the last accessible station.)
- During this project, we're providing a free out-of-system transfer between the N at 86 St and the F at Avenue X. It's about a 5-minute walk. You can also connect to/from the F by using the B1 or B4 buses, which will also accept an additional free transfer when using a MetroCard. Customers making this connection will be able to do so with one fare when using a MetroCard.
Travel options to and from Coney Island
If your destination is...
- 36 St D/N/R and points north: Take the D and transfer between D and N at 36 St. This is a cross-platform transfer, and your easiest transfer point.
- New Utrecht Av (N), Fort Hamilton Pkwy (N), 8 Av (N) 59 St (N/R), 53 St (R), 45 St (R): Take the D and transfer between the D and N at New Utrecht Av-62 St. This is the last accessible transfer point on the N. 86 St station is not accessible.
- 18 Av (N), 20 Av (N), Bay Pkwy (N), Kings Hwy (N), Avenue U (N), 86 St (N): Take the F to Avenue X. During this project, we're providing a free out-of-system transfer between the 86 St N station and Avenue X F station. It's about a 5-minute walk. Free transfer is also available to the B1 and B4 bus for connection to the 86 St N.