About the project
Beginning at 9:45 p.m. on Friday, July 1, all trains end at 121 St, 24/7. No trains operate between 121 St and Jamaica Ctr-Parsons/Archer.
We're doing this work because the track that and trains use to travel between 121 St and Jamaica Center is at the end of its useful life. This is a "direct fixation" track, which is fixed directly to the tunnel floor rather than on wood ties. Replacing this track will help make your commute more reliable.
We need to dig out and completely replace the aging concrete and tracks from under Archer Av. This project will replace 12,500 feet of track and third rail.
This builds on the work we did in 2020 to replace more than 6,000 feet of track between Jamaica-Van Wyck and Jamaica Center on the line. That work was completed in 10 weeks. We anticipate that work on the line will take the same amount of time, and finish by September 2022.
Here’s how you can get around during this time. Check back closer to July 1 for more specific travel alternatives.
service ends at 121 St
- All trains make all stops between 121 St and Myrtle Av.
- Skip-stop service is suspended, with trains replaced by trains. Service between Broad St and 121 St will remain as frequent as it is today.
- trains continue to serve Jamaica Ctr-Parsons/Archer, Sutphin Blvd-Archer Av-JFK Airport, and Jamaica-Van Wyck.
Free J99 shuttle buses will run between 121 St and Jamaica-Van Wyck, with free transfers to the subway with both MetroCard and OMNY.
- On weekdays, buses are scheduled to run every 3-5 minutes.
- On weekends, buses are scheduled to run every 4-10 minutes.
- Overnight (from 12 a.m. to 5 a.m.), buses are scheduled to run every 20 minutes.
Cross-honoring on Long Island Rail Road
MetroCards will be cross-honored at the following Long Island Rail Road (LIRR) stations: Atlantic Terminal, Nostrand Av, East New York, Jamaica, Hollis, Queens Village, St Albans, Locust Manor, Laurelton, and Rosedale.
Travel alternatives to and from JFK Airport
Customers traveling to JFK Airport can take the to Howard Beach or the to Sutphin Blvd-Archer Av-JFK Airport, and then transfer to the AirTrain. You can also take LIRR to Jamaica, and transfer to the AirTrain.
Accessible travel options
Customers who use wheelchairs or other mobility devices requiring elevators can take the Q54 to Middle Village-Metropolitan Av.
The Atlantic Terminal, Nostrand Av, Jamaica, Queens Village, and Rosedale LIRR stations are also accessible.
Use the Trip Planner on our homepage to see more accessible options.