Line Service Changes Effective 4:45 a.m. Monday, Dec. 26 through 5 a.m. Saturday, Dec. 31
Trains Operate on Sunday Schedule, Monday, Dec.26; Service Changes Effective Tuesday, Dec. 27 5:30 a.m. through 9 p.m. Friday, Dec. 30
The Metropolitan Transportation Authority (MTA) today issued a reminder of an upcoming 24/7 service outage on the and lines along the 53 St tunnel to perform maintenance and signal upgrades over five consecutive days that will improve service reliability and infrastructure resiliency. The work will consist of electrical work in pump rooms, which support drainage of water and reduces service delays caused by rain and flooding. Crews will also continue to work on the Lexington Av/53 St escalator replacement, which began in October, and signal upgrades as part of the Queens Blvd and 8 Av CBTC installation work.
From 4:45 a.m. Monday, Dec. 26 through 5 a.m. Saturday, Dec. 31, trains will be rerouted via the line between Jackson Hts-Roosevelt Av and W 4 St-Washington Sq, and trains will not operate between Delancey St-Essex St and Forest Hills-71 Av.
- trains will operate normally between Jamaica Center- Parsons / Archer and Jackson Heights-Roosevelt Av. trains will run via the line between Jackson Heights-Roosevelt Av and W 4 St in both directions.
- For 50 St, 42 St-Port Authority Bus Terminal, 34 St-Penn Station, 23 St and 14 St, take the lines or use nearby stations along 6 Av.
- There is no service at 7 Av. Service on the and lines operates as usual.
- trains operate normally between Middle Village-Metropolitan Av and Delancey St-Essex St. From Tuesday through Friday between 6 a.m. and 9 p.m., trains are extended via the lines from Delancey St-Essex St to Chambers St. customers may transfer to/from the at Delancey St-Essex St for service to/from Midtown Manhattan.
- On Monday, December 26, the subway runs on a Sunday schedule due to the holiday. service only operates between Middle Village-Metropolitan Av and Delancey St-Essex St on Sundays.
- There will be no train service at Lexington Av / 53 St. Customers may use service to/from Lexington Av/63 St, service to/from Lexington Av/59 St, or service to/from Grand Central-42 St.
- There will be no train service at 5 Av/ 53 St. Customers are advised to use nearby stations at 57 St or 47-50 Sts-Rockefeller Ctr.
- There is no service at Court Sq. Customers can take the line.
- For day and evening service to Queens Plaza, customers can use the line. For overnight service, customers can use the nearby Queensboro Plaza station, or, for the nearest accessible stations, 21 St-Queensbridge on the and Court Sq .
Ridership is significantly lower during this holiday week compared to other weekdays, and rerouting all service away from the 53 St tunnel means almost an entire month of weekend work can be accomplished in a single five-day period. Regularly scheduled service will be in place well before New Year’s Eve festivities.
Service changes are posted under Planned Service Changes, accessible via the MTA’s homepage and customers are encouraged to sign up to the MTA Weekender, a weekly newsletter sent every Friday to inform customers of weekend service changes throughout the transit system.
For real-time service updates and information, customers can use the following options:
MYmta app – Customers who use the comprehensive MYmta smartphone app will see real-time travel information for all MTA services all in one place.
new.mta.info – The “Service Status” box at new.mta.info is always the definitive source for the latest status for each line.
Live Subway Map – The Live Subway Map shows the real-time position of trains, planned service changes at any given time, highlights accessible stations, and much more.
Twitter – Twitter users can follow @NYCTSubway for service updates and customer service support.
WhatsApp – Customers can chat with NYC Transit via WhatsApp. Riders can receive customer service support in their native language through the help of Google Translate.
For those who prefer to contact the MTA by telephone, information is available by dialing 511. Connecticut customers should call 877-690-5114. Those who are deaf or hard of hearing can use their preferred service provider for the free 711 relay to reach the MTA at 511.