Metropolitan Transportation Authority (MTA) Chair and CEO Janno Lieber today joined New York City Mayor Eric Adams and NYPD Commissioner Keechant L. Sewell in honoring police officers and civilians who helped law enforcement apprehend the alleged shooter, Frank R. James, in last week's Sunset Park subway shooting. After the attack on the subway in Brooklyn on Tuesday, April 12, the NYPD issued a plea for help in locating a suspect identified by detectives – and several members of the public came forward with timely, accurate information that helped locate and apprehend the alleged shooter.
NYPD detectives traced the many tips that streamed into the NYPD and constructed a timeline of events leading to Mr. James’s apprehension on Wednesday, April 13 in Lower Manhattan. MTA put up $12,500, together with TWU Local 100’s $12,500, doubling the initial Crime Stoppers reward. Five individuals credited with calling in tips that aided law enforcement in capturing the suspect approximately 30 hours after the mass attack, split the $50,000 total reward. Today, four of those individuals — Francisco Puebla, Cheikh Mohamad, Zack Tahhan, and Jack Griffin — were celebrated for their roles in James’s capture at City Hall.
“Last week’s shooting was a horrific moment for New York,” said MTA Chair and CEO Janno Lieber. “But it also showed us the best of our city, as tragedy often does. Tipsters who help police detectives are usually anonymous, but I’m glad to have the opportunity today to thank some of them in person on behalf of the Governor and all New York City commuters.”
“The subtext to this story are the people who called in the tips,” said New York City Mayor Eric Adams. “They love this city so much that they went after the person who tried to destroy our way of life. This city belongs to us.”
“Each of these individuals exemplifies the determination and courage that makes us all proud to be New Yorkers,” said NYPD Commissioner Keechant L. Sewell. “The work of these officers and civilians is further proof that public safety in New York City is truly a shared responsibility.”
Federal prosecutors have charged Mr. James, 62, with carrying out an attack on a mass transit system, and he has been ordered held without bail after a brief, initial appearance April 14, in Brooklyn federal court.