Things to Know
L service runs normally during the busiest times on weekdays at 3 Av Station. If you're planning to use the L on nights and weekends:
- Plan ahead: With trains every 20 minutes to Manhattan, you might not be able to board the first train depending on how many other customers are waiting. If you miss the first train, it's faster for the majority of customers to use the M14 A/D within Manhattan or to connect to another subway.
- Watch your step: 3 Av Station will be crowded at certain times. Our staff and NYPD will be there to manage potential lines.
- Trains are running in both directions on one track: Remember to check station signage and countdown clocks to board the right train, and stand back to let your fellow customers quickly exit trains.
- You have options: M and J trains and M14 A/D are in the neighborhood and run more frequently than the L. If you get to 1 Av Station and there's a line you don't want to wait in, use M14 A/D to travel in Manhattan and to get to Brooklyn, use that bus to catch the M at Delancey-Essex Station.
Plan Your Trip
Service at 3 Av Station
The L will still be running at 3 Av Station at all times, just less frequently during nights and weekends. Use this guide to know what's happening when:
|5 AM to 8 PM||Regular L frequency||Use the L|
|Weekdays||8 PM to 10 PM||
8-9 PM every 5 minutes
9-9:30 PM every 12 minutes
9:30-10 PM: gradual transition to every 20 minutes
|Plan ahead for longer than usual trip times or consider alternatives|
|Weeknights||10 PM to 1:30 AM||Reduced L frequency||Plan ahead for longer than usual trip times or consider alternatives|
|Weeknights||1:30 AM to 5 AM||Regular L frequency (every 20 minutes)||Use the L|
|Weekends||6 AM to 1:30 AM||Reduced L frequency||Plan ahead with alternatives; L trains will be crowded and with potential long wait times to board|
|Weekend nights||1:30 AM to 6 AM||Regular L frequency (every 20 minutes)||Use the L|
During the busiest hours on weekends, the L will run every 20 minutes while alternate subway and bus options run more frequently:
- M14 A/D combined will run every 3 minutes
- M every 8 minutes
- J every 10 minutes
- G every 8 minutes
- 7 every 4 minutes
Using alternate service on nights and weekends will often be faster than waiting for the L. Here are some trip plans for common destinations:
|Destination||L first train during low ridership times (assumes a 10 minute wait)||L during busy ridership times (assumes waiting for second train)||Using alternate subway and bus options||Recommended alternate route|
|Rockefeller Center||23||43||21||M14A/D > FM|
|Grand Central||21||41.5||15||M14 A/D > 45|
|Bedford Av||17.5||37.5||42||M14A > JM|
|Myrtle-Wyckoff||28.5||48.5||45.5||M14A > M|