Save more when you tap with OMNY!
Our new weekly fare cap lets you get all the benefits of a 7-Day Unlimited MetroCard without paying in advance.
OMNY caps your weekly fares at $34 when you tap the same card or device for every ride.
Your first tap starts a new seven-day cap. If you spend $34 within seven days, you ride free for the rest of the cap period. If you spend less, you only pay for the rides you take.
The cap resets every seven days and restarts with your next tap. Express buses, group trips, and transfers do not count toward the cap. The Reduced-Fare cap is $17.
How it works
- The fare-capping program is available for full-fare and Reduced-Fare OMNY trips on New York City subways and local, limited, and Select Bus Service buses.
- Tap the same way every time to get fare capping benefits. If you tap a card, use that same card for every tap. If you tap a device, make sure you always use the same device and the same card in your mobile wallet.
- Customers will automatically receive free, unlimited rides for the rest of the week once they have paid $34 (or $17 for registered Reduced-Fare customers) in fares — the same as taking 12 trips.
- Group trips, express bus taps, and transfers do not count toward the weekly cap.
Earning a weekly pass: example
Once you’ve taken 12 paid rides in a seven-day period, you can ride free for the rest of the week. Here’s an example:
- A rider uses the subway to get to and from work, and takes it on weekends to go into Manhattan to meet friends. They also use the local buses in their neighborhood to run errands.
- They use the same digital wallet or contactless payment card to tap-to-pay the fare, and each ride is $2.90.
- After they have spent $34 or tapped for 12 trips (trips 1-11 at $2.90, trip 12 at $2.10) — the rest of their rides for the week will be free!
Tracking your trips
You can track your progress toward reaching the fare cap through a free and secure OMNY account, where you can also manage your travel cards and more.
Reduced-Fare customers can switch from MetroCard to OMNY and take advantage of the $17 seven-day fare cap. Create a free OMNY account and select "Switch from Reduced-Fare MetroCard to OMNY" from the Digital Assistant in the bottom-right of your screen.
Fare capping FAQ
How do I become eligible to earn free rides with the weekly fare cap?
All you have to do is tap! There is no sign-up, registration, or app required. Simply tap and go with the same contactless credit or debit card, smart device, or OMNY card. Once you’ve hit 12 paid trips in a seven-day period, the rest of your rides for that week will automatically be free.
Do taps from my physical credit or debit card and the digital version of that card in my smart device count toward the same cap?
No. Each contactless credit or debit card, card in a smart device's mobile wallet, or OMNY card builds toward its own unique cap. If you tap a card, use that same card for every tap. If you tap a device, make sure you always use the same device and the same card in your mobile wallet.
How do transfers work with the fare cap?
The same free transfer rules that apply to MetroCard also apply to OMNY. You must use the same payment method for each leg of the trip to get a free transfer. Each paid trip with OMNY counts once toward the weekly fare cap.