Service Change Overview
Special weekend timetables will be in effect for all branches on the weekends of October 23-24 and 30-31 as we modernize switches in Queens Interlocking to improve service flexibility and reliability.
To allow this work to proceed, the LIRR will suspend Main Line train service between Hicksville and Jamaica.
A map depicting the service changes appears at the bottom of this page.
Huntington/Port Jefferson and Ronkonkoma Branch Service Changes
Westbound train service terminates at Hicksville. Transfer to a diesel shuttle train stopping at Bethpage and Babylon, where electric train service will resume. For eastbound customers, reverse the process by traveling to Babylon and boarding a diesel shuttle train stopping at Bethpage and Hicksville, where electric train service will resume. Please allow up to 60 minutes of additional travel time.
New Hyde Park, Merillon Avenue, Mineola, Carle Place, and Westbury Stations: There will be no train service. As an alternative, use the Hempstead Branch, where weekend service will be increased from hourly to half-hourly, or NICE Bus service. LIRR tickets will be cross-honored on the N22/24 bus routes for service between Hicksville and Mineola, and the N40/N41 bus routes for service between Mineola and Hempstead. See nicebus.com for schedules.
Note: Between midnight and 5 a.m., the LIRR Expansion Project team will provide shuttle buses stopping at Mineola and Hicksville as an alternative for customers at these two Main Line stations when NICE Bus service is unavailable.
Bethpage Station: Bethpage Station will be served solely by a diesel-powered shuttle train with bi-level cars that will operate between Hicksville, Bethpage, and Babylon. Electric trains will not stop at Bethpage Station.
Westbound customers should wait on the eastbound platform (Track 2, Platform B) and board a shuttle train to Babylon. At Babylon, transfer to westbound express trains to Penn Station that make limited stops, including Jamaica.
Eastbound customers should wait on the westbound platform (Track 1, Platform A) and board a shuttle train to Hicksville. At Hicksville, transfer to an eastbound electric train for service to stations from Farmingdale to Ronkonkoma. Please plan ahead and allow additional time to safely cross the Stewart Avenue grade crossing when getting to and from the opposite station platform.
Oyster Bay Branch Service Changes
Service will operate every two hours. All trains terminate/originate at East Williston Station. Take free LIRR shuttle buses between East Williston, Mineola and Hempstead, where half-hourly train service will be available, or use the Port Washington Branch.
Hempstead Branch Service Changes
Service on the Hempstead Branch will be increased from hourly to half-hourly to help accommodate affected customers.
The Cross Island Pkwy will be closed starting Saturday 10/23 at 10pm thru Sunday 10/24 at 8pm to support placement of steel girders at the future Elmont Station. Use alternate routes like Meadowbrook Pkwy or Van Wyck Expwy this weekend during the shutdown
While there are no major service changes on other branches, check the LIRR TrainTime app or view/download PDF timetables here for minor changes in departure and connecting train times that may affect your trip.
- Sign up for E-Alerts at mymtaalerts.com. View/download PDF timetables here. Printed timetables will not be distributed.
- Masks are required onboard trains and inside station buildings and enclosed platform waiting rooms, regardless of vaccination status. While onboard, masks must completely cover your nose and mouth and remain on for the duration of your travel, including on LIRR shuttle buses.
- Use the LIRR TrainTime App to plan your trip and track real-time customer loading information to find the least crowded cars on any train.
- To avoid delays and transfers, use the Babylon, Hempstead, Montauk or Port Washington Branches.
- Parking restrictions and fees are waived at many stations on weekends. Click here to learn more.
- Buy LIRR tickets in advance. Customers using MTA eTix® should activate their tickets just before boarding the train.
- Look for LIRR personnel at key locations and listen for station and onboard announcements regarding track and platform changes.
For more information
Customer Service Center agents are available to answer questions via live chat or phone between 6 a.m. and 10 p.m., daily.
For service-related questions, chat live with customer service agents through the LIRR TrainTime app.
To speak with an agent, call 511 or 718-217-LIRR (718-217-5477) and say “Representative” when the prompts begin. Automated schedule information is available via phone 24/7.