With our comprehensive TrainTime app, when you ride the Long Island Rail Road or Metro-North Railroad you can:
- Buy and activate your ticket
- Plan trips and see options between up to two origin and two destination stations
- View departure times and transfer details for your trip, including for trips using both LIRR and Metro-North
- Track your train in real time and watch it arrive with GPS data updated every few seconds
- View real-time seat availability and the layout of your train
- Chat live with a customer service representative
How to buy tickets with the TrainTime app
- Download the app before you travel. New users can log in with Apple, Google, or by text message. If you have been using an account created in the former MTA eTix app from before August 2022, use the same username and password to retrieve your existing tickets.
- Buy your ticket before you travel. You can do so by tapping the "Buy" button after planning your trip or via the "Tickets" tab, which is also where your tickets live.
- Just before boarding your train, go to the "Tickets" tab and activate your ticket. Once on board, a conductor will validate the ticket either visually or by scanning it.
Tickets purchased using the app cost the same as those purchased at a ticket machine.
You can buy multiple tickets for others in your party on the same device. You will need to activate one ticket per person and show each one to the conductor. Note that a ticket cannot be deactivated once you have activated it.
If you’re not seeing purchased tickets in your Ticket Wallet, make sure you’re logged in.
Screenshots or videos of activated tickets are strictly prohibited. Additionally, the exchange or sharing of tickets via AirDrop or any other means is also strictly prohibited. Customers attempting to present shared tickets of any kind will be required by the conductor to purchase a new ticket at the on-board rate.
Types of tickets you can buy
All ticket types except UniTickets, Meadowlands tickets, group tickets, and MTA Away packages are available for purchase using the app.
Note that if you buy a round-trip or 10-trip ticket, it will appear in your Ticket Wallet as two or 10 one-way tickets, which can be used in either direction.
The TrainTime app accepts Visa, MasterCard, Discover, and American Express cards. You can split the payment between two cards.
You can also pay with Apple Pay on iOS devices or Google Pay on Android devices. Note that these digital wallets do not accept split payments.
On board the train
While on board the train, the conductor may ask to scan your ticket. All tickets purchased through TrainTime are subject to scanning, just as all paper tickets are subject to inspection.
Common reasons tickets are scanned:
- You activated your ticket as the crew member began checking tickets in your car.
- Always activate your ticket just before boarding the train.
- The actual time and the time displayed on the app do not match.
- Do not change the time on your phone.
On various days throughout the month, crew members may be instructed to scan a particular type of ticket (such as monthly tickets) on all trains on a particular branch or branches. As a result, your ticket may be scanned while the ticket presented by another customer in your train car may not be scanned.
Additional indicators displayed on the app may prompt a crew member to scan your ticket.
If your ticket cannot be accepted after scanning:
Please provide an alternate ticket or pay the on-board fare, retain all documentation, and contact us as soon as possible.
Upon receipt of appropriate documentation, we will investigate. If the ticket presented is found to have been valid, we will provide reimbursement for additional ticket expenses incurred. Crew members will not be able to investigate and reach a determination on the train. Thank you for your cooperation.
How to get a refund
Unactivated tickets can be canceled within two minutes of purchase to receive a full refund.
Once the two minutes have elapsed, you will receive a partial refund for the unused portion of the ticket. All refunds are subject to a $10 fee. A one-way ticket that has been activated is considered used and is non-refundable.
You can refund a non-activated, non-expired ticket by tapping on the “Actions” button displayed on the ticket, then selecting the "Refund Ticket" option. Money will be returned to the credit/debit card used to purchase the ticket and a receipt will automatically be sent to the email address associated with your account.
To refund expired tickets, or multiple tickets at once, please contact us directly by using the chat feature on the Status tab of the TrainTime app or by calling 511.
Apple and the Apple Logo are registered trademarks of Apple Inc. Google Play and the Google Play logo are trademarks of Google LLC.