Safeguard Your Stuff
Including Your Personal Identification Number (PIN)
Protect against possible credit/debit card fraud when using Ticket Vending Machines (TVMs). Here are some important tips from the Better Business Bureau to help safeguard your personal information when buying tickets at TVMs:
- Beware of suspicious activity at or around the TVMs. Walk away from the machine if you notice someone watching you, or if you sense something suspicious.
- When entering your PIN number, stand close to the machine and hold your hand or a piece of paper over the keypad or screen to make it more difficult for a person or camera to watch you.
- Never keep a written copy of your PIN in your wallet or purse.
- Before using a TVM, examine nearby objects that might conceal a camera; check the card slot for a plastic sheath before inserting your card.
- Beware of strangers offering to help you with a TVM or ATM that appears disabled and notify someone responsible for the security of the machine.
- Review your account statements on a regular basis, either online or on paper, and check for unauthorized withdrawals and purchases. If you find one, immediately contact your bank or credit card provider, as this will limit your financial liability for fraudulent charges.
Finally, if you feel your personal information has been compromised while using an MTA Long Island Rail Road or MTA Metro-North Railroad Ticket Vending Machine, contact MTA Police at 718-361-2201 immediately.