Why we’re doing this
Like any major piece of infrastructure, subway tunnels are periodically in need of repairs. Time, water damage, shifting earth, and normal wear and tear can cause structural issues. By proactively making repairs, we can prevent those problems.
So, during select weekends from now through 2023, we will be making repairs along the 4/5 tunnels between Borough Hall and Franklin Av in Brooklyn.
What we’re doing
- Fixing any issues, like cracks in concrete or rusted beams, with vertical columns, horizontal beams, and the surrounding concrete that all hold up the tunnels
- Fixing the ladders that construction crews use to get from the tracks to the bench wall
- Fixing guard rails along the bench wall
- Installing or replacing drip pans
- Fixing and replacing faulty lights
How to get around during service changes
When we originally scoped out this project, we were anticipating it would take at least 40 months. Given our lower ridership during the pandemic, we’re accelerating our schedule so fewer people are impacted by service changes. Our new schedule is for 33 months. We anticipate the work to be spread out over 64 weekends.
During most weekends from now until 2023, there will be changes to service between Manhattan and Brooklyn, and service in Brooklyn.
No service between Brooklyn and Manhattan
During 40 of the 64 weekends, there will be no service between Brooklyn and Manhattan.
Here is how service will run from 10 p.m. Friday to 5 a.m. Monday during those weekends:
service will run between Woodlawn and Bowling Green
service will run between 148 St and New Lots Av all weekend, operating local in Brooklyn
Reminder: During weekends, does not operate between Manhattan and Brooklyn.
- Aug 27 - 30
- Oct 3 - 4, 17 - 18, 24 - 25,
- Nov 7 - 8
- Jan 15 - 18, 22 - 25
- Feb 5 - 8, 12 - 15, Feb 26 - Mar 1
- Mar 5 - 8, 12 - 15
- Apr 23 - 26, Apr 30 - May 3
May 7 - 10, 14 - 17
- May 21 - 24
- Jun 4 - 7
- Jun 18 - 21
- Jun 25 - 28
- Jul 16 - 19
- Jul 23 - 26
Rerouted service on Eastern Parkway
During the other 24 weekends, there will be reroutes on Eastern Parkway. Service will run in one of the following ways from 10 p.m. Friday to 5 a.m. Monday during those weekends:
Weekend local-to-express reroute
Work performed on one local track at a time between Atlantic Av and Franklin Av
service operates express in one direction between Atlantic Av and Franklin Av
service operates between Brooklyn and Manhattan and normally along Eastern Parkway
Weekend express-to-local reroute
- Work performed on both express tracks between Atlantic Av and Franklin Av
- service operates local in both directions between Atlantic Av and Franklin Av
- Jul 30 - Aug 2
- Aug 13 - 16
- Aug 20 - 23
- Nov 14 - 15, 21 - 22
- Jan 8 - 11, Jan 29 - Feb 1
- Mar 19 - 22, 26 - 29
- Apr 9 - 12, 16 - 19
- Jul 9 - 12