Things to Know
L service runs normally during the busiest times on weekdays at Lorimer St Station. If you're planning to use the L on nights and weekends:
- Plan ahead: With trains every 20 minutes to Manhattan, you might not be able to board the first train depending on how many other customers are waiting. If you miss the first train, it's faster for the majority of customers to take alternatives.
- Watch your step: Lorimer St Station will be crowded at certain times. Our staff and NYPD will be there to manage potential lines.
- You have options: G trains are just down the corridor, and M and J are in the neighborhood and run more frequently than the L.
- Extra Brooklyn-only L train runs between Canarsie Rockaway-Parkway and Lorimer St: If you're traveling in Brooklyn on the L, you'll have an extra train that's Brooklyn-bound, giving you a train every 10 minutes.
- Don't board a train that says "Lorimer St" if you want to get to Manhattan: If you're in Brooklyn and want to get to Manhattan, wait for the "Manhattan" train instead of getting on the "Lorimer" one and transferring.
Plan Your Trip
Service at Lorimer St Station
The L will still be running at Lorimer St Station at all times, just less frequently during nights and weekends. This station is also part of the Metropolitan Av-Lorimer St Station complex with connections to the G train. Use this guide to know what's happening when:
|5 AM to 8 PM||Regular L frequency||Use the L|
|Weekdays||8 PM to 10 PM||
8-9 PM every 5 minutes
9-9:30 PM every 12 minutes
9:30-10 PM: gradual transition to every 20 minutes
|Plan ahead for longer than usual trip times or consider alternatives|
|Weeknights||10 PM to 1:30 AM||Reduced L frequency, L trains to Brooklyn are every 10 minutes||Plan ahead for longer than usual trip times or consider alternatives|
|Weeknights||1:30 AM to 5 AM||Regular L frequency (every 20 minutes)||Use the L|
|Weekends||6 AM to 1:30 AM||Reduced L frequency; L trains to Brooklyn are every 10 minutes||Plan ahead with alternatives if Manhattan-bound; L trains will be crowded and with potential wait times to board|
|Weekend nights||1:30 AM to 6 AM||Regular L frequency (every 20 minutes)||Use the L|
Service change effective Saturday, June 8, 2019: We introduced a new Williamsburg Link bus route, the B91A to replace the current B91 and B92. Learn more
During the busiest hours on weekends, the L will run every 20 minutes while alternate subway and bus options run more frequently:
- G every 8 minutes (in-station transfer)
- M every 8 minutes
- J every 10 minutes
- 7 every 4 minutes
- Williamsburg Link B91A runs every 8 minutes
- M14 A/D combined will run every 3 minutes
Using alternate service on nights and weekends will often be faster than waiting for the L. Here are some trip plans for common destinations:
|Destination||L first train during low ridership times (assumes a 10 minute wait)||L during busy ridership times (assumes waiting for second train)||Using alternate subway and bus options||Recommended alternate route|
|Union Square||20.5||40.5||35||M > 6|
|Grand Central||28.5||48.5||27.5||G > 7|
We completed work in the Metropolitan Av-Lorimer St complex in February 2019. This includes:
- Completely refurbished one section of the mezzanine and rebuilt another one
- Added a total of nine new staircases, including reopening two street stairs
- Opened a new set of turnstiles
- Installed new digital screens, Help Points, and other signage