Updated July 25, 2020
As New York City reopens, we’re doing everything we can to help you ride safely.
Updates as NYC reopens
- Wear a mask or face covering. They’re required when you ride with us.
- Use hand sanitizer and wash your hands at your destination.
- Travel at less busy times if you can.
- The subway will continue to close from 1 a.m.-5 a.m. each day. Overnight local and express buses are free. (The Staten Island Railway will continue to operate during this time, and fares on Staten Island buses remain in effect.)
- On August 5, we're launching two new overnight interborough bus routes: the Bx99, between Woodlawn in the Bronx and the West Village in Manhattan, and the M99 between East New York in Brooklyn and Hell's Kitchen in Manhattan. These two routes, along with the previously launched B99, will operate every 20 minutes from approximately 1-6 a.m.
Bus alternatives to subway service
Express and local buses are free of charge between 1 a.m. and 5 a.m.
(The Staten Island Railway will continue to operate, and fares on Staten Island buses remain in effect.)
Use our trip planner
Our trip planner has the most up-to-date route information about enhanced bus service.
- Set the time for your planned commute
- Under Travel Preferences, select “bus” and “express bus”
New bus routes coming August 5
Starting August 5, the Bx99 will run between Woodlawn in the Bronx and the West Village in Manhattan. The route will travel on Jerome Avenue and down the east side, similar to the 4 subway line, then will cross west at 57th St and down to the West Village. Buses will operate about every 20 minutes from 1-6 a.m.
Overnight express bus routes
These routes will be operating about every 30 minutes or better tonight:
- BxM4: Woodlawn, Bronx, and Midtown, Manhattan
- BxM7: Co-op City, Bronx, and Midtown, Manhattan
- BM2: Canarsie, Brooklyn, and Midtown/Downtown, Manhattan
- QM17 Far Rockaway, Woodhaven, Queens, and Midtown, Manhattan
- X68: (begins operating Manhattan bound at 4 a.m.) Floral Park, Queens, and Midtown, Manhattan
- B99: Midwood, Brooklyn and Midtown, Manhattan
Use our trip planner or the MYmta app for the most up-to-date route information.
Last scheduled departures for subways
You may still see trains running between 1 a.m. and 5 a.m. Those trains will be moving essential crews to where they need to be so we can resume service promptly at 5 a.m.
Essential workers are eligible for one free trip in a for-hire vehicle per night if:
- A bus trip would take more than 1 hour and 20 minutes
- A bus trip requires more than two transfers, or
- The walk to or from a bus stop is more than 1/2 mile (10 minutes)
Request a ride or pre-book a trip
Use the Essential Connector page to request a ride between 1 a.m. and 4:30 a.m., or schedule a ride in advance.
Questions? Call 718-330-1234.
Note for Staten Island riders
Beginning Wednesday, July 1, at 1 a.m., we will no longer be providing for-hire vehicle service on Staten Island through the Essential Connector program.
You can plan a trip to South Ferry at 4 Whitehall Street, New York, NY, 10004, instead. The Staten Island Railway and Staten Island Ferry will continue to operate all night.