Updated July 5, 2020
As New York City enters Phase 3 of reopening, we’re doing everything we can to help you ride safely.
Updates as NYC reopens
- Wear a mask or face covering. They’re required when you ride with us.
- Use hand sanitizer and wash your hands at your destination.
- Travel at less busy times if you can.
- The subway will continue to close from 1 a.m.-5 a.m. each day. Overnight local and express buses are free. (The Staten Island Railway will continue to operate during this time, and fares on Staten Island buses remain in effect.)
- We'll be making some changes to overnight Express bus service, beginning June 28.
Last scheduled departures for subways
You may still see trains running between 1 a.m. and 5 a.m. Those trains will be moving essential crews to where they need to be so we can resume service promptly at 5 a.m.
Bus alternatives to subway service
Express and local buses are free of charge between 1 a.m. and 5 a.m.
(The Staten Island Railway will continue to operate, and fares on Staten Island buses remain in effect.)
Use our trip planner
Our trip planner has the most up-to-date route information about enhanced bus service.
- Set the time for your planned commute
- Under Travel Preferences, select “bus” and “express bus”
Overnight express bus routes
These routes will be operating about every 30 minutes or better tonight:
- BxM4: Woodlawn, Bronx, and Midtown, Manhattan
- BxM7: Co-op City, Bronx, and Midtown, Manhattan
- BM2: Canarsie, Brooklyn, and Midtown/Downtown, Manhattan
- QM17 Far Rockaway, Woodhaven, Queens, and Midtown, Manhattan
- X68: (begins operating Manhattan bound at 4 a.m.) Floral Park, Queens, and Midtown, Manhattan
- B99: Midwood, Brooklyn and Midtown, Manhattan
Use our trip planner or the MYmta app for the most up-to-date route information.
Changes to overnight bus service
Beginning June 28, we’ll be discontinuing 1-5 a.m. service on the BM3, BxM1, BxM2, BxM11, QM6, X28, X68, because ridership is low.
During that time you can use other bus service or book a for-hire ride with our Essential Connector app.
These bus routes will operate as usual during normal weekday hours.
The X68 will begin operating at 4 a.m.
Here are routes you can use overnight instead:
- BM3: B68,BM2
- BxM1: Bx10
- BxM2: Bx10
- BxM11: Bx39
- QM6: Q46, Q60
- X28: B1,B6, B36, B82
- X68 Manhattan bound (not operating from 1-4 a.m.): Q1,Q2, Q3 Q17, Q36, Q43, and Q60
- X68 Queens bound (not operating 1-5 a.m.): Q1,Q2,Q3 Q17, Q36, Q43, and Q60
Essential workers are eligible for one free trip in a for-hire vehicle per night if:
- A bus trip would take more than 1 hour and 20 minutes
- A bus trip requires more than two transfers, or
- The walk to or from a bus stop is more than 1/2 mile (10 minutes)
Request a ride or pre-book a trip
Use the Essential Connector page to request a ride between 1 a.m. and 4:30 a.m., or schedule a ride in advance.
Questions? Call 718-330-1234.
Note for Staten Island riders
Beginning Wednesday, July 1, at 1 a.m., we will no longer be providing for-hire vehicle service on Staten Island through the Essential Connector program.
You can plan a trip to South Ferry at 4 Whitehall Street, New York, NY, 10004, instead. The Staten Island Railway and Staten Island Ferry will continue to operate all night.