Updated July 1, 2022
About mask requirements
Masks are still required at indoor train stations and on board subways, commuter rail, buses, and paratransit vehicles.
You do not have to wear a mask at outdoor train stations and platforms, or at bus stops. You must wear a mask once you board a train, bus or paratransit vehicle.
If you don’t have a mask, we’ll give you a free one. Ask at a subway station booth, or ask a LIRR or Metro-North station ambassador. You can also purchase a mask from PPE vending machines that we're testing in 10 stations.
Riders who refuse to wear a mask could get a $50 fine.
Subways and buses
We’re running on a regular schedule. You can get help with a Reduced-Fare MetroCard at these stations.
What we’re doing
- Continuing to deep-clean and disinfect stations and vehicles
- Reminding riders about precautions to keep everyone safe, including floor decals and station announcements
- Making masks and hand sanitizer available in stations
- Tracking daily ridership numbers
- Deploying station agents, ambassadors and wayfinders to help you move through stations