Updated June 5, 2020
Overnight service changes
There is no subway service between 1 a.m. and 5 a.m.
You can use our enhanced bus service for free while the subway isn't running.
Essential workers, we’re here for you. If you must travel, you can plan an alternative trip and learn more about our Essential Connector program.
What Essential Service looks like
Subways and buses
We’re operating with fewer crews, which might change your trip.
Staten Island Railway service runs hourly, with additional trips during rush hour.
We are no longer scheduling shared rides. (You can still travel with a personal care attendant or guest.)
Stay home if your travel is not absolutely necessary. You’ll be helping protect yourself, your family and other New Yorkers.
Long Island Rail Road
We'll run half-hourly or hourly service on most branches, with strategically added trains during peak travel times.
We're running a modified schedule on the Hudson, Harlem, and New Haven lines. We’re increasing service as the region begins re-opening.
What to expect as NYC reopens
What we’re doing
- Ramping up service
- Continuing to deep-clean and disinfect stations and vehicles
- Reminding riders about precautions to keep everyone safe, including floor decals and station announcements
- Making hand sanitizer, masks, and other protective equipment available to riders in stations
What you can do
- Wear a mask. They’re required when you ride with us.
- Travel during less busy times if you can
- Use hand sanitizer, and wash your hands when you get to your destination
MTA Action Plan for a Safe Return
More COVID-19 information
- What at the MTA is open and closed
- The Station Master's Office at Grand Central Terminal
- The OMNY customer service center will be operating at reduced hours. Starting at 5 p.m. Friday, March 20, the service center will be open Monday through Friday, 8 a.m. to 5 p.m.
- Our Customer Service Center in Lower Manhattan.
- Our Metro-North Customer Service Center in Grand Central Terminal.
- All Metro-North ticket offices.
- Our lost and found offices.
- Our MetroCard Mobile Sales Bus and Vans.
- The North end entrances of Grand Central Terminal.
- The EasyPay Account Service Center. Use our automated phone service at 877-323-7433, or the EasyPay website.
- The Eltingville Transit Center will be closed each day from 9 p.m. to 5 a.m. Monday through Friday and 9 p.m. to 6 a.m. on Saturday and Sunday.
Other changes you should know about
- There may be delays in response to FOIL requests because of the state's workforce reduction.
- We’re not currently processing online applications for Paratransit Access-a-Ride. Call us at 877-337-2017 and we’ll handle requests on a case-by-case basis.
- Our MetroCard Balance Protection Program is on hold while our staff works remotely.
- City, state, and national resources
- Information for MTA contractors