Service Change Overview
Special weekend timetables will be in effect for all branches on the weekend of June 12-13 as we eliminate the South 12th Street grade crossing in New Hyde Park as part of the LIRR Expansion Project.
To allow this work to proceed, the LIRR will suspend Main Line train service between Hicksville and Jamaica. Key service impacts and alternatives follow, and a map depicting the service changes appears at the bottom of this page:
Huntington/Port Jefferson and Ronkonkoma Branch Service Changes
Westbound train service terminates at Hicksville. Transfer to a diesel shuttle train stopping at Bethpage and Babylon, where electric train service will resume. For eastbound customers, reverse the process by traveling to Babylon, boarding a diesel shuttle train stopping at Bethpage and Hicksville, where electric train service will resume. Please allow up to 60 minutes of additional travel time.
New Hyde Park, Merillon Avenue, Mineola, Carle Place and Westbury Stations: NO TRAIN SERVICE. As an alternative, use the Hempstead Branch, where weekend service will be increased from hourly to half-hourly, or NICE Bus service. LIRR tickets will be cross-honored on the N22/24 bus routes for service between Hicksville & Mineola, and the N40/N41 bus routes for service between Mineola & Hempstead. See nicebus.com for schedules. Note: Between midnight and 5 AM, the LIRR Expansion Project team will provide shuttle buses stopping at Mineola and Hicksville as an alternative for customers at these two Main Line stations when NICE Bus service is unavailable.
Oyster Bay Branch Service Changes
Service will operate every two hours. All trains terminate/originate at East Williston Station. Take free LIRR shuttle buses between East Williston, Mineola and Hempstead, where half-hourly train service will be available, or use the Port Washington Branch.
Hempstead Branch Service Changes
Service on the Hempstead Branch will be increased from hourly to half-hourly to help accommodate affected customers.
- Some service changes will begin at approximately 10 PM on Friday night and continue through the overnight hours on Monday morning.
- Sign up for E-Alerts at mymtaalerts.com. Visit mta.info for updates and view timetables online here. Printed timetables will not be distributed.
- Masks are required at stations, on outdoor platforms, and onboard trains, regardless of your vaccination status or social distancing. Masks must completely cover your nose and mouth and remain on for the duration of your travel, including while on LIRR shuttle buses.
- Download the free LIRR TrainTime App to plan your trip, and track real-time customer loading information to find the least crowded cars on any train.
- To avoid delays and transfers, use the Babylon, Hempstead, Montauk or Port Washington Branches.
- Parking restrictions/fees are waived at many stations on weekends. Visit here to learn more.
- Buy LIRR tickets in advance. Customers using MTA eTix® should activate their tickets just before boarding the train.
- Look for LIRR personnel at key locations and listen for station and onboard announcements regarding track and platform changes.
About The LIRR Expansion Project
The LIRR Expansion Project will add a third track along nearly 10 miles of right-of-way between Floral Park and Hicksville, increasing capacity, improving reliability and creating new service opportunities. Visit amodernli.com to learn more.
For More Information: Customer Service Center agents are available to answer questions via live chat or phone between 6 AM and 10 PM, daily. For service related questions, chat live with customer service agents through the LIRR TrainTime app. To speak with an agent, call 511 or 718-217-LIRR (718-217-5477) and say “Representative” when the prompts begin. Automated schedule information is available via phone 24/7.