MTA NYC Transit is fully committed to the use of buses and subways by New Yorkers with disabilities. With some training, customers who have disabilities may be able to ride the bus or subway to work, school, health and recreation facilities, and the many cultural institutions for which New York is famous.
Transit currently sponsors travel training for qualified paratransit AAR customers. Trainees can master the following skills:
- Planning a trip: use of schedules, signs, telephone, information services, and landmarks.
- Remembering and following directions.
- Traveling safely at all times.
- Identifying the correct bus stop, bus, subway station, or subway.
- Coping with service disruptions, delays, and emergencies.
- Correctly using mobility aids, such as crutches, walkers, wheelchairs, and scooters.
- Requesting information/help from appropriate sources.
A training candidate should be motivated and medically stable, and should use the bus/subway often enough to maintain newly learned travel skills.
Training is well under way. There is limited space, so don't wait to apply. Call 877-337-2017 (and select prompt #8) or contact us via the online portal.