The new SIM network is here
On January 13, we launched the new network to better match ridership.
New changes include:
- SIM11: This new route runs from Mill Road/Tysens Lane to and from Midtown Manhattan using Hylan Blvd, Madison Avenue and Lexington Avenue. This is similar to the former X2.
- SIM33c: This new off-peak combination Downtown/Midtown service is similar in span and frequency to the previous X10. This enables the off-peak SIM4c to serve the Richmond Avenue/Lander Avenue and Richmond Avenue/Morani Street stops as the peak period SIM4 does and the previous X17 did. This provides new off-peak and weekend service to Mariners Harbor.
- SIM1 and SIM34: We extended service to Houston Street. The final stop for Manhattan-bound buses is 6th Avenue and Houston Street. This is in response to requests for direct service to TriBeCa and SoHo.
- SIM25: We extended the PM service window to run for a longer period of time, to match the SIM26 and the former X22.
- SIM4c: We extended all off-peak and weekend service to Huguenot Avenue/Woodrow Road. This serves more customers. The route changed to mimic the former X17 route on Richmond Avenue north of Victory Blvd.
- SIM6: We relocated this line’s terminal from 6th Avenue and 57th Street to Lexington Avenue and 57th Street. This helps prevent buses from getting stuck in crosstown traffic.
- SIM3c: We reduced weekday morning service so that it doesn't overlap with the SIM3, reducing congestion. This saves resources, and you can shift to the new SIM33c off-peak service.
- SIM2: We discontinued this route's off-peak and weekend service due to very low ridership. This saves resources we can use for other routes with high demand.
- SIM4x and SIM8x park-and-ride routes make one additional stop at Lamberts Lane.
We also added back stops at these locations:
- Hylan Blvd/Montreal Avenue (Both Directions)
- Routes: SIM1, SIM1c, SIM5, SIM6, SIM7, SIM9, SIM10
- Hylan Blvd/Cromwell Avenue (Both Directions)
- Routes: SIM1, SIM1c, SIM7, SIM10, SIM11
- Watchogue Road/Willow Road East (Both Directions)
- Routes: SIM3, SIM3c, SIM34
- Routes: SIM3, SIM3c, SIM34
- 23 Street/3 Avenue (Both Directions)
- Routes: SIM3, SIM6, SIM10, SIM11, SIM31
- Routes: SIM3, SIM6, SIM10, SIM11, SIM31
- Woodrow Road/Shotwell Avenue (Southbound Only)
- Route: SIM8
- 57 Street/Madison Avenue (Northbound Only)
- Routes: SIM6, SIM8, SIM8x, SIM11, SIM22, SIM25, SIM26, SIM31
Plan Your New Commute
We've updated MYmta with info about the new routes. The best way to figure out your new commute is using our trip planner:
- Visit new.mta.info to use our "Plan a Trip” tool.
- Enter your starting address in the "From" field and your destination in the "To" field. Use your home address rather than a parking lot or your current bus stop.
- Open “Travel Preferences” and click inside the box to enable "Express Bus" (That's off by default, since most people don't take express buses).
- Click "Plan My Trip" to get your new options.
Current Route Maps and Timetables
The table below shows which new SIM routes replace old X routes. These aren't just new names, they are entirely different routes. If you ride the X4 today, your best route option may be the new SIM1, SIM5, or SIM7 not the SIM4.
x = Park-and-Ride route. Non-stop.
c = Off-peak & weekend, combination Midtown & Downtown service.
*SIM7 & SIM33 service to 14 St via West St.
|Previous Route||Route Options to Downtown Manhattan||Route Options to Midtown Manhattan|
|X1||SIM1 / SIM7* / SIM1c||SIM10 / SIM22 / SIM1c|
|X2||SIM6 / SIM10|
|X3||SIM1 / SIM5 / SIM7*|
|X4||SIM1 / SIM5 / SIM7*|
|X5||SIM6 / SIM10 / SIM22|
|X7||SIM5 / SIM7* / SIM9||SIM6 / SIM10|
|X9||SIM7*||SIM6 / SIM10|
|X10||SIM32 / SIM33* / SIM35 / SIM3c / SIM4c||SIM3 / SIM31 / SIM3c / SIM4c|
|X12||SIM34||SIM3 / SIM30|
|X14||SIM35||SIM3 / SIM30|
|X17||SIM2 / SIM4/4x / SIM1c / SIM3c / SIM4c||SIM8/8x / SIM22 / SIM23 / SIM24 / SIM1c / SIM3c / SIM4c|
|X22||SIM25 / SIM26|
|X23||SIM8/8x / SIM23 / SIM24 / SIM25 /|
|X24||SIM8/8x / SIM23 / SIM24 /|
|X42||SIM3 / SIM30|
Previous network changes
Since the launch of the new SIM network, we've been making changes in response to customer feedback and our observations on the ground. The downloadable maps and timetables on this page are up-to-date, but we've collected summaries of previous changes below.
- Network changes effective 11/5
We added some bus stops back into service. We had originally removed these stops to speed trips. They are being restored due to local walking environment factors. These include elevation changes, street pavement and distances, as well as customer feedback.
- Spring St/Greenwich St
- Houston St/Washington St
- Richmond Rd/Edgar Pl
- Richmond Av/Eton Pl
- Arthur Kill Rd/Corbin St
- Forest Av/Hart Blvd
- Hylan Blvd/Bayview Av
- Richmond Av/Rockland Av
Academy Bus, the vendor which operates SIM23 and SIM24 routes, moved those routes to 34th St from 42nd St.
- Network changes effective 10/17
10/17 We added 6 new rush hour trips to the SIM6 to alleviate crowding. During the morning rush, we add SIM 6 trips from Eltingville Transit Center at 5:49, 6:09 and 7:07 a.m. During the afternoon rush, we added SIM6 trips from 57th Street and Lexington Avenue at 3:40, 4:10 and 4:30 p.m.
- Network changes effective 10/7
These changed included service enhancements to several routes and a new route serving customers going to Battery Park City. These new schedule added 38 more weekday trips as a result of customer feedback and observations on the ground.
- We launched a new route: The SIM9, starts on Hylan Blvd at Richmond Av. It travels along Hylan until Midland Av, then take Father Capodanno Blvd to the Verrazano Bridge. In Manhattan it follows the same route as the SIM7 and SIM33. The route has a similar window of service as the SIM7. SIM9 service gives customers a direct ride to West Street and Greenwich Village from Father Capodanno Boulevard, including from the South Beach park-and-ride, where parking spaces are available. It also offers a faster ride to Manhattan for customers along Hylan Blvd between Richmond and Midland Avs, and more frequent service to Battery Park City.
- The SIM4/4c route was extended to Woodrow Rd & Huguenot Av for trips starting in Midtown from 7:04pm until midnight, giving customers a one-seat ride to that area by eliminating the need for switching to a separate shuttle bus. The shuttle bus was a temporary improvement to immediately deliver additional service south of Eltingville Transit Center, and this improvement was made permanent and more efficient.
- We expanded the window of service on the SIM3c so that evening rush-hour service on that route begins 95 minutes earlier, at 6:25 p.m.
- We added more morning and evening trips to the SIM7, extending the window of service from Broadway / 14 Street in the evening to 7:30 p.m.
- We added more Manhattan-bound trips on the SIM1, SIM7, SIM15, SIM22, SIM31, SIM32 and SIM34.
- We added more Staten Island-bound trips on the SIM1, SIM2, SIM4, SIM7, SIM31, SIM33, SIM34 and SIM35
- For customers going to the College of Staten Island in the morning, we added three more trips on the SIM4c leaving Midtown at 8 a.m., 8:50 a.m. and 9:50 a.m.
- To better align service with customer needs and ridership demand, low-ridership SIM5x and SIM6x routes were discontinued. SIM5x and SIM6x customers can take the SIM5 and SIM6, which serve the same stops between Manhattan and Staten Island. The buses and personnel freed up by this change were used on routes where additional service is in demand.
- Earlier post-launch changes
Based on customer feedback and observations on the ground, we've made changes to some of our initial routes. We are continuing to review the length of trips and other issues such as overcrowding. We will continue to adjust service when necessary. We're also updating the assets on this page, so maps, timetables, and trip planners will reflect the most up-to-date information.
Changes we’ve made with your input:
- SIM1c: In the morning, we adjusted service so that there are buses every 20 minutes after 3:50 a.m., with trips at 4:10, 4:30 and 4:50 a.m. In the afternoon, we added a new SIM1c trip out of Central Park South, departing at 2:00 p.m.
- SIM4c: We’ve added reverse-peak trips to the College of Staten Island, leaving 57th Street at 7:20 a.m. and 7:40 a.m.
- SIM5x and SIM6x: To increase service, these buses now stop at Hylan/Tysens and Hylan/Lincoln, before stopping at the Father Capodanno Park and Ride, and continuing to Manhattan.
- SIM6: Two trips were added at 7:20 p.m. and 7:50 p.m., to give commuters options to go home later in the evening.
- SIM7: We added two trips at 2:30 and 3:00 p.m. to offer more capacity.
- SIM7: We expanded the length of evening service by 18 minutes, adding a trip that leaves Broadway and 13th Street at 7:18 p.m., stopping at West St and Vesey St at 7:42 before heading into Staten Island.
- SIM8: We added a 6:00 a.m. Manhattan-bound trip to close a gap in service and maintain a 10-minute interval between buses.
- SIM10: We’ve added more trips out of Eltingville Transit Center: 4:10, 4:26, 4:41, 4:48 , 4:56 a.m. and 4:58
- SIM34: Two trips were added at 6:54 a.m. and 7:54 a.m., and the trips in between were adjusted, to provide buses every ten minutes.
- SIM35: We added two trips at 6:35 p.m. and 7:05 p.m. to give commuters options to go home later in the evening.
- A shuttle started to run to provide service from Eltingville Transit Center to Woodrow Rd and Huguenot Av between 10:43 p.m. and 2:00 a.m., to provide better service to points on the southern end of the Island.
Major changes to how buses travel in Manhattan
SIM6, SIM22, and SIM26 buses travel south along Lexington Av (instead of 5th Av) during the PM rush. This change should speed trips on these routes, as well as trips on the routes that will remain on 5th Av.
SIM6 now stops at:
- 57 Street at Madison Av
- Lexington Av at 52 St
- Lexington Av at 46 St
- Lexington Av at 41 St
- Lexington Av at 33 St
- Lexington Av at 27 St
SIM22 and SIM26 now stop at:
- Lexington Av at 52 St
- Lexington Av at 46 St
- 42 St at Madison Av
Here's a breakdown of what stops to look for on your commute.
Route Former Stop New Stop
57 St/Madison Av
57 St/Lex Av
5 Av/54 St
57 St/Lex Av or LexAv/52 St
5 Av/51 St
Lex Av/52 St or Lex Av/46 St
5 Av/46 St
Lex Av/46 St
5 Av/41 St
Lex Av/41 St
5 Av/35 St
Lex Av/33 St
42 St/5 Av
42 St/Madison Av
Lex Av/27 St
23 St/Park Av
Lex Av/27 St or 23 St/2 Av
Submit Questions or Comments
If you haven't found answers to your questions or have comments on our changes, you can submit feedback via mta.info. We get a lot of questions, but will try to respond within seven days.
If you need assistance planning your commute, tweet us @NYCTBus or call 511, 6 a.m. to 10 p.m. daily to speak with one of our customer service representatives.
Staten Island's express bus service started in the 1960s. Since then, population, work trends, and the number of cars on the road have shifted. For a while, changes to the network happened piecemeal. In 2015, the MTA launched a comprehensive study to find out the best way to improve the network and provide better service.The new network will address slow speeds and unreliability. The routes will concentrate service where possible to streets with bus priority. They are, on average, shorter and spend less time on Manhattan streets. They will have fewer turns, and more space between bus stops.
Under the refined plan, riders will enjoy:
- Simplified service to Manhattan
- More direct routes on Staten Island
- Fewer stops to speed up trips
- Expanded off-peak and weekend service to Manhattan
- Streamlined routing to either Midtown or Downtown Manhattan
Data analysis and input from more than 3,000 riders led to the creation of the redesigned network. Input from bus operators, elected officials, and local community leaders also played a part. We're continuing to update the routes and stops as we collect feedback from riders and observe behavior on the ground. We've put together maps to help you better understand the new routes and schedules.