MTA Storm Preparations
In preparation for the possibility of heavy rains and high winds through the next 12 to 36 hours, the MTA is making the following preparations:
We are making arrangements to bring in extra personnel, preparing our facilities and infrastructure by clearing drains, securing work sites against possible high winds, checking and fueling equipment, and stocking supplies. Maintenance of way crews are ready to respond throughout the MTA service territory to remove fallen trees across tracks and electrical workers are ready with specialized equipment to respond to fallen overhead power lines. Some specific actions include:
New York City Transit
- NYCT has prepped and manned its three pump trains;
- Drains checked and cleared;
- Equipment at yards and bus depots tied down and secured.
Metro-North Railroad and Long Island Rail Road
- Both railroads will have extra personnel at key locations and additional personnel to clear fallen trees and any downed wires from the high winds;
- MTAPD presence at Grand Central Terminal and Penn Station for holiday getaway and Thanksgiving Day Parade;
Bridges and Tunnels
- B & T has secured all construction work sites;
- All roadway and drainage systems have been checked and cleared of debris. Off-property drainage locations that historically flood will be monitored throughout the storm;
- In wet and/or windy conditions, motorists will be asked to reduce their speed at MTA crossings and drive with caution.
The MTA will continue to monitor the storm, and if warranted, will move equipment and supplies away from low-lying areas as needed. Unnecessary construction may be canceled. If icy conditions develop, personnel will be ready to sand/salt platforms and sand truck will be ready on bridges.
Because of the possible severity of the wind and rain, we urge our customers to check www.mta.info frequently and consider the impacts of this storm when making travel plans throughout the holiday.
As winter approaches, the MTA has also updated its Winter Weather Guide available by clicking here. The Winter Weather Guide is a handy guide to keep customers informed during periods of inclement weather that may require service changes. The poster provides information about service on each of the MTA’s agencies with a description of the weather condition and how that weather may affect operations.
Customers can also tune into local television and radio stations for the latest transit and traffic conditions.